Domiciles next project to launch will be located in Old Ottawa East, at 141 Main Street. The two building, five floor, 140 unit project, will be located on 3.5 acres between Oblate and Springhurst. The current building, a convent named "Sisters of the Sacred Heart of Jesus" or "Les Soeurs Du Sacre-Coeur De Jesus", dates back to 1902.
At the request of the Oblates Fathers, five sisters arrived in Ottawa from Brittany France to provide domestic services. Then in 1911, five townhouses, a boarding school, and a small convent was built. The original convent was destroyed by a fire in 1913 and the present convent was rebuilt a few years after. The Sisters adapted to the Canadian culture and began teaching syllabus to local students. It quickly grew to over 200 students and had numerous additions and wings built. At its peak in 1961, there were 246 Sisters living, and working at the convent. Ceasing to train new members in 1995, the convent presently remains home to 79 Sisters.
The property was purchased by Domicile on January 3rd, 2014, who has committed to allow the sisters to stay in the convent indefinitely.
For a more detailed read, check out the History of Ottawa East page.